Universitas Negeri Jakarta (UNJ) is located in Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia. The life chapter of Universitas Negeri Jakarta begun when the Presidential Decree Number 1 in 1963 stipulated that Faculty of Education of Universitas Indonesia, Institute of Teacher Education (IPG) and other education apparatus and systems at that time should be integrated into one institution, called IKIP Jakarta (Institute for Teacher Training and Education Jakarta). The decree was officially came into effect on 16 May 1964. This also marked the birth of IKIP Jakarta.
Due to extension of mandate given by Ministry of Education and Culture in 1999, IKIP Jakarta transformed itself into Universitas Negeri Jakarta (UNJ). Developing sciences, technology, arts, languages, sports, and humanities with its main core business in education, UNJ becomes one of the leading state universities in Indonesia in integrating education with other various disciplines. In 2009 UNJ succeeded in gaining its status as Public Service Agency (Badan Layanan Umum-BLU).
As one pedagogical university in Indonesia, UNJ has experiences in teacher education programmes for 52 years with 32.000 students, 937 lectures, and 800 staff. Along with “Building Future Leaders” as its motto, UNJ is geared toward a multicultural education and entrepreneurial university. UNJ has 8 faculties and 1 graduate school, namely:
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Languages and Arts
- Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Sport Sciences
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Psychological Education
- Postgraduate Programs
Currently UNJ is the Chair of ALPTKNI (Asosiasi Lembaga Pendidikan dan Tenaga Kependidikan Negeri Indonesia (The Association for Indonesia 12 State Pedagogical Universities in Indonesia), namely:
- Universitas Negeri Jakarta, Jakarta
- Universitas Negeri Malang, Malang, West Java
- Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia, Bandung, West Java
- Universitas Negeri Makasar, Makassar, South Sulawesi
- Universitas Negeri Surabaya, Surabaya, East Java
- Universitas Negeri Semarang, Semarang, Central Java
- Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta
- Universitas Negeri Padang, Padang, West Sumatera
- Universitas Negeri Medan, Medan, North Sumatera
- Universitas Negeri Gorontalo, Gorontalo, Sulawesi
- Universitas Negeri Manado, Manado, North Sulawesi
- Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha, Bali
As shown above, those 12 state pedagogical universities are spread throughout the country main islands of Java, Sumatera, Sulawesi, and Bali. Up to present, these universities have been entrusted and mandated as institutions who execute professional teachers’ certifications program in Indonesia.
UNJ has had international collaboration with many countries in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, Middle East, and North America. Particularly in relations to Curtin University, UNJ had a fruitful collaboration in conducting the 8th International Conference on Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education, on 21-24 November 2015 in Jakarta. Under the Australia-Indonesia Institute Grant STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Project, UNJ has also had a collaboration with Curtin University recently, also in Jakarta.
As former of IKIP Jakarta which was established in 1964, UNJ has proven ever since to provide Indonesia with outstanding teachers as our best effort in developing education praxis, research, and community services across disciplines. Multicultural education and entrepreneurship remain our signature of excellence.